Mumbai Buzz: Plane crash | City bids farewell to double decker bus | Food regulator seals iconic eatery and more…

This week in Mumbai: FDA finds maggots at Bademiya - Mumbai's famous eatery, private plane crash injures 8, toll rates hiked, and more.

Private aircraft skids and crashes during landing, injuring 8

Eight people including the pilot and co-pilot were injured after a private aircraft veered off the runway at the Mumbai airport and crashed on Thursday evening around 5.45 pm.

“VSR Ventures Learjet 45 aircraft VT-DBL operating flight from Vizag to Mumbai was involved in runway excursion (veer off) while landing on runway 27 at Mumbai airport. There were 06 passengers and 02 crew members on board. Visibility was 700 meters with heavy rain,” the directorate general of civil aviation said in a statement.

The eight passengers were admitted to the Criticare Asia Hospital in Mumbai’s Andheri east. Co-pilot Neil Diwan has sustained major injuries and underwent an operation immediately.

Source: Hindustan Times

Famous eatery Bademiya sealed after hygiene violations

The recent inspection of hotels by the Food & Drugs Administration (FDA), Maharashtra has exposed long-neglected food safety concerns in Mumbai, which has over 18,000 registered eateries. Following the discovery of cockroaches, rats and maggots, the FDA sealed three outlets of the iconic eatery, Bademiya, in Colaba. Furthermore, two restaurants, Krishna Fastfood in Charkop and Paradise Home Kitchen in Bandra, have been fined for violating hygiene safety regulations.

During their inspection earlier this week, the FDA found that Krishna Fastfood and Paradise Home Kitchen had violated several food safety norms, including dirty kitchens. Krishna Fastfood was fined Rs 15,000, while Paradise Home Kitchen was fined Rs 40,000.

Source: The Indian Express

One of the last buses, bus number 415, taking one last ride in Andheri suburbs.
One of the last buses, bus number 415, taking one last ride in Andheri suburbs. Pic: Sherine Raj

Mumbai’s iconic double-decker bus winds up

The non-AC double-decker buses bid adieu to the city roads after being in service for over eight decades. The last of these iconic buses left Marol Depot on Friday morning. 

The open-roof double-decker buses, which have been used for ferrying tourists for sightseeing since the early 1900s, will also be withdrawn from service from October 5. “Currently, just seven double-decker buses, including three open-deck buses, are left in the BEST’s fleet. As these vehicles are completing 15 years of their codal life, the double-decker buses will forever go off roads from September 15, while the open-deck buses will be pulled out on October 5,” said a BEST spokesperson.

Source: NDTV


Read more: “Recognise their cultural significance,” says activist on the last day of the double decker bus


Toll hike at Mumbai’s entry points

Starting October 1, toll rates at five Mumbai entry points will increase by 12.50-18.75%. The rates were last revised in October 2020. The five entry points are at Dahisar, LBS Road-Mulund, Eastern Express Highway-Mulund, Airoli Creek Bridge and Vashi. 

These increases, calculated annually, take effect every three years, raising the toll for light vehicles by Rs 5 (from Rs 40 to Rs 45), mini buses by Rs 10 (from Rs 65 to Rs 75), and imposing Rs 150 for trucks and buses and Rs 190 for multi-axle vehicles, per a government notification.

Source: Times of India

Heavy rains expected ahead of Ganesh festival

The India Meteorological Department (IMD) on Thursday issued a ‘yellow’ alert for Mumbai till September 18, indicating heavy rain at isolated places, while an ‘orange’ alert (heavy to very heavy rain) was issued for Thane and Palghar for September 17.

The other days, up to September 18, Thane and Palghar have been placed under ‘yellow’ alert. While Mumbai has been kept under ‘yellow’ alert of all days till early next week and IMD said, if required, the warnings will be upgraded.

It means Mumbai might have a rain-soaked Ganesh festival, which starts on September 19. The civic body has made preparations for traffic and crowd management. They have received a high number of applications for pandals and public celebrations.

Source: Times of India

(Compiled by Sherine Raj)

Add more:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Similar Story

Indian Civic Summit 2026: Spotlight on changemakers transforming cities

From waste management to urban forests, the Indian Civic Summit spotlights residents that are driving change in their cities

Cities are the heart of the Indian growth story. Vibrant. Crowded. Diverse. Multidimensional. And yet, as we look around us, we find that they are ridden with problems and face multiple threats to their ecology, habitats and human lives. The crises in our cities make it hard to imagine an urban future that is truly inclusive, sustainable and marked by high liveability standards. But as the oft-cited quote from anthropologist Margaret Mead goes, "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed, citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."  That is perhaps the…

Similar Story

Stormwater, floods and the city: Inside a citizen audit of Bengaluru’s K200 drain

A walk along Bengaluru’s K200 stormwater drain shows shifting conditions every 100 metres, revealing flooding risks and repair possibilities.

I have been following the K100 stormwater drain (SWD) project for some time and had loosely worked on it in the past. Once neglected, this stretch from Majestic to Bellandur Lake has gradually been transformed into a critical part of the neighbourhood’s civic infrastructure. As I have a theoretical understanding of what Bengaluru’s stormwater drains are intended to do and why they matter, a citizen audit of the K200 SWD held on January 31st felt like a chance to move beyond theory and see things up close. The proposed audit focused on a stretch of the K200 running from HSR…