Lucknow Lok Sabha (Parliamentary) Constituency comprises five assembly constituencies – Lucknow West, Lucknow North, Lucknow East, Lucknow Central and Lucknow Cantt.
Reliable, useful journalism needs your support.
Over 600 readers have donated over the years, to make articles like this one possible. We need your support to help Citizen Matters sustain and grow. Please do contribute today. Donate now
Being the capital of India’s most populous state,Uttar Pradesh, Lucknow is one of the most important political seats in the country. It saw two noted women freedom fighters – Vijayalakshmi Pandit and Sheorajvati Nehru – as its first two MPs in the first ever Lok Sabha; both were incidentally relatives of Jawaharlal Nehru, then PM of India. Lucknow is also the home constituency of ex-Prime Minister Atal Bihari Vajpayee who was elected to the LS from here five times starting 1991 General Elections. Since then, it has been a stronghold of the BJP.
According to the website of the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), Uttar Pradesh, as of 31st January 2019, the constituency had a total of 19,58,847 voters – 10,54,133 male, 9,04,628 female and 86 others. 1826 polling booths will be set up to enable these voters to cast their vote.
Note – Map for representation purpose | Source – http://datameet.org
2014 Lok Sabha Elections
In the 2014 elections, of the 19.49,956 registered voters (10.52 lakh men and 8.97 lakh women), only 53.02% i.e. around 10.33 lakh cast their votes (5.82 lakh men and 4.51 lakh women).
|Candidate Name||Party||Votes secured||% vote share
(over total polled)
|Raj Nath Singh||BJP||561106||54.23|
|Prof. Ritu Bahuguna Joshi||Indian National Congress||288357||27.87|
Know your Candidates
Fifteen candidates are contesting from Lucknow this time, of whom only three are independents while the remaining 12 represent political parties / groups. Links to their affidavits can be found towards the end of this article.
The final list of candidates is after the Election Commission of India (ECI) rejected nominations of 36 people (total of 49 applications with some people filing twice or more). Only one woman is contesting from the constituency this time.
Rajnath Singh, BJP
Rajnath Singh of the BJP is the incumbent MP from this seat. An ex-Chief Minister of UP (2000-02), a member of the Rajya Sabha twice, and a Cabinet Minister during the Vajpeyee era, he is currently the Home Minister of India.
- Age: 67 years
- Education: Post Graduate, 1971, Gorukhpur University
- Profession: Social Worker + Agriculturist
- Voter in: 174 Lucknow Central Assembly Constituency
- Website: www.rajnathsingh.in
- Twitter: @rajnathsinghbjp
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RajnathSinghBJP/
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 0522 2394745 0522 2394746
- Criminal cases: None
Assets and liabilities
|Year||Assets (Movable + Fixed; Self + Spouse + Dependents)||Liabilities Self + Spouse + Dependents)|
|Lok Sabha 2019||5.15 Crores+
(MA: 164.58L + 53.03L = 2.17 Cr
FA: 2.97 Crores)
|Lok Sabha 2014||2.92+ Crores||Nil|
|Lok Sabha 2009||1.49 Crores||Nil|
More information about the official positions held by him can be found here.
As a minister, MPs do not sign attendance, ask questions or introduce private member bills. However, an overview of his record in the current term mentions his participation in 126 debates, introduction of 11 government bills and one special mention.
In the News
As the Home Minister, Rajnath Singh has been in the news very often.
- May 2019: Naxal attack in Maharashtra
- April 2019: reviewing and scrapping of Articles 370, 35A
- April 2019: On his biggest achievement as Home Minister
- Feb 2019: On Pakistan and the Pulwama attack
- Jan 2019: Citizenship Bill
- Sep 2018: Smart border fence in J&K
- July 2018: non-lethal weapons and drone technology
Poonam Shatrughan Sinha, SP
Poonam Sinha, a recent entrant into the field of politics, is representing the Samajwadi Party here. Poonam is an actress who acted in a couple of Hindi movies under the name Komal during the 1970s. She officially entered into the world of politics when she joined the SP this April. A resident of Mumbai, she is the SP-BSP-RLD candidate in Lucknow.
- Age: 68 years
- Edu: BA
- Background: Wife of Shatrughan Sinha, the actor turned politician who was an MP representing BJP but who moved to the INC a few weeks prior to the current LS elections.
- Voter in: Andheri West Maharashtra assembly constituency
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 98206 03128 022 26207732
- Pending criminal cases: One. Case 19/2014, Shahjahanpur Police Station, Patna, Bihar. Section 171 (H) / 188 IPC — 1 charge related to illegal payments in connection with an election, AND 1 charge related to disobedience to order duly promulgated by public servant
Assets and liabilities
|Year||Assets (movable + fixed)||Liabilities|
|Lok Sabha 2019||193.54 Crores
(MA: 27.27 Crores
FA: 166.27 Crores)
In the News
Within days of filing her nomination, Poonam became known as the richest candidate in the 5th phase of the current Lok Sabha elections.
Acharya Pramod Krishnam, INC
He is best known as the founder of Shri Kalki foundation, and the Peethadheshwar of Sambhal Peeth. This is the second time he is contesting the LS elections. He had lost to 2014 elections while contesting from Sambhal. Before he got a Congress ticket in 2014, he had founded the Hindusthan United Movement with Bareilly-based cleric Tauqir Raza.
- Age: 56 years
- Education: MA (Social Science)
- Voter in: Asmauli Parliamentary Constituency, UP
- Email: email@example.com
- Phone: 98112 78149
- Pending criminal cases: Currently None
Assets and liabilities
|Year||Assets (Movable + Fixed)||Liabilities|
|Lok Sabha 2019||4.97 Crore
(MA: 47.88 Lakhs
FA: 4.5 Crores)
|Lok Sabha 2014||4.99 Crore||NIL|
In the News
- March 2018: Name included in the list of fake godmen
- Nov 2017: When construction of a temple at Kalki Dham was stalled
- June 2016: Protests against him following the submission of the report on alleged Hindu Migration in Kairana
Full list of candidates
(click on a candidate’s name to access his / her affidavit)
|Poonam Shatrughan Sinha (F)
68, Graduate, Business
|Acharya Pramod Krishnam
56, PG, Agriculture
|Indian National Congress||Hand|
67, Post Graduate, Social worker, Agriculturist
|Bharatiya Janata Party||Lotus|
|Amar Kumar Raizada
66, M Sc (Chem); LLB; Advocate
|Akhil Bharatiya Jan Sangh||Battery Torch|
|Kapil Mohan Chowdhary
47, B Sc (Comp Sc), Business and Agriculture
|Mera Adhikaar Rashtriya Dal||Boat with man and sail|
46, Graduate Professional, Insurance Agent / Investment Consultant
|Saaf Party||Hat / cap|
|Girish Narain Pande
64, M Sc (Phy); LLB; MBA; Retired Principal Chief Commissioner Income Tax, ex-Forest Service, Advocate
|Sarvodaya Bharat Party||Camera|
|Mo Fahim aka Haji Fahim Siddiqui
65, 10th Pass, Social worker
|Indian National League||Iron|
|Dev Narayan Singh aka Prof. D N N S Yadav
59, LLB, LLM, LLD; Professor
|People’s Party of India (Democratic)||Carrom Board|
29, Literate, Driver
|All India Forward Bloc||Lion|
|Ram Sagar Pal
37, BA, Social Worker
|Awami Samta Party||Tractor chalata Kisan|
49, 8th Pass, Business
|Nagrik Ekta Party||Television|
|Avinash Chandra Jain
69, B Sc, Dip in Public Administration; Business
|Jimidar Singh Yadav
39, Literate, Labourer (Mazdoori)
|Sanjay Singh Rana
38, Graduate, Business