Gajanan Kirtikar is the incumbent MP from Mumbai North West Constituency. A leader of the Shiv Sena Party, he served 19 years as an MLA from Malad assembly constituency. A veteran politician, he has also had a stint as the Home Minister of Maharashtra.
In the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Gajanan Kirtikar (Shiv Sena) defeated Gurudas Kamat (INC) by 1,83,028 votes. The constituency, with 17,75,416 voters, had 50.57 % voter turnout in 2014 elections, of which Gajanan obtained 51.91% votes.
Gajanan Kirtikar is running for reelection to the 17th Lok Sabha as part of the Shiv Sena’s alliance with the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party.
- Name: Gajanan Kirtikar
- Age: 75 years
- Constituency: Mumbai North West
- Address: At 503, Snehdeep, 5th Floor Pahadi School Road No 2, Aarey Road, Goregaon(East) Mumbai 400063
- Name enrolled as a voter in: 27 Mumbai North West (Maharashtra) constituency at Serial no 163 in Part no 182
- Party: Shiv Sena
- Term: 2014 – 2019
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Number: 09821114872
- Self Profession: Agriculturist, Salaried consultant
- Educational qualifications: B.A. (Economics) from Mumbai University
- No. of Criminal Cases: None
Assets & Liabilities
|Movable assets||1,07,05,000 (self) + 51,08,000 (spouse)||2,39,74,000 (self) +46,54,000 (spouse)|
|Immovable assets||1,17,19,000 (self) + 2,44,00,000 (spouse)||3,42,83,000 (self) +4,24,80,000 (spouse)|
All figures in INR. Source: myneta.info
- Member, Public Accounts Committee
- Member, Standing Committee on Railways
- Member, Consultative Committee, Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship; Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports
- Member, Telephone Advisory Committee for Mumbai (West-II)
- Member, National Shipping Board.
- Member, Sub-Committee-VII (PPP Project) of Public Accounts Committee (2016-17)
Source: Lok Sabha
Gajanan Kirtikar has performed well above average in terms of questions raised in parliament and the introduction of private member bills. He attained 100 percent attendance once during his five-year-tenure. His overall attendance during the tenure stands at 79%, which is slightly below the national average of 80%.
|MP||Attendance||No of Debates||No of questions asked||Private Member’s Bill|
|State (Maharashtra) average||78%||68.6||607||4.8|
Source: PRS Legislative Research
Some of the debates that the member has participated in are as follows:
- Regarding problems faced by fishing community of Mumbai North-West Parliamentary Constituency
- Need to accord ‘Notified Depot’ status to Borivali Depot of Food Corporation of India
- Need to implement the Coastal Regulation Zone (CRZ) Notification, 2011.
- Regarding encroachment on Railway land in Mumbai
- Need to provide funds to Central Institute of Fisheries Education, Andheri (West), Mumbai
- Need to relocate people residing in unsafe buildings in Mumbai, Maharashtra
- Need to identify and deport Rohingya people living in India in an illegal manner
He has introduced 8 private member bills during his tenure.
- The Missing Children (Faster Tracking and Reuniting) Bill, 2017
- The Ban on Cow Slaughter Bill, 2017
- The Population Stabilization Bill, 2017
- The Distressed Widows and Single Women (Protection, Rehabilitation and Welfare) Bill, 2017
- The Child Development Programmes Coordination Agency Bill, 2016
- The Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises Development (Amendment) Bill, 2016 (Insertion of new sections 10A and 10B)
- The National Authority for Rehabilitation and Welfare of Persons Living around Railway Tracks Bill, 2016
- The Slums and Jhuggi-Jhopri Areas (Basic Amenities and Clearance) Bill, 2016
MP in news
During his tenure, Gajanan Kirtikar has come out in favour of the construction of the metro car shed in Aarey, even as residents opposed the plan to cut trees in the much needed lung space for the city.
The right-wing leader led a campaign for the naming of the Ram Mandir Railway station serving the Oshiwara locality.
He has agitated in front of the parliament along with fellow Shiv Sena MPs for the accordance of classical language status to Marathi.
As per data available until 2017, the MP had recommended works worth Rs. 9.28 crores. Some of the work recommended include:
- Reconstruction of 16 seated toilet Near Chandsa Ali Darga, Niti, Powai, Andheri(East)
- Construction of gymkhana, Meghwadi, Jogeshwai (East)
- Construction of Paragollan and setting arrangement for senior citizen. MHADA plot Shivdham Dindoshi, Malad(East)
- Construction of gutter and footpath Krantinagar, Appapada, Kandivali(East)
- Reconstruction of lake Ganesh Ghat, Bangur Nagar, Goregaon(West)
|Recommended amount||Rs. 9,28,84,400|
|Sanctioned amount||Not Available|
|Utilised amount||Not Available|