Revamp of Jayanagar shopping complex inaugurated

Revamping of Jayanagar Shopping complex which has been under discussion for four years now, finally got off the ground on August 4th. BBMP and BDA have joined hands for this much awaited project.

The revamp and modernisation of Bangalore’s first and oldest shopping complex in Jayanagar got off the ground on August 4th. Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar laid the foundation stone. Deputy Chief Ministers K S Eshwarappa and R Ashoka, Vijaya Kumar B N (BJP MLA, Jayanagar), BBMP Commissioner Shankarlinge Gowda, Mayor D Venkatesh Murthy were also present.

The much awaited project being inaugurated by Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar. Pic: Sankar C G

The project has been under discussion for four years even as shop owners resisted, fearing loss of their livelihood.

On the day of inauguration, N Narasimha Raju, vice-president of Traders Association of Jayanagar Shopping Complex told Citizen Matters, “We don’t know anything about shopkeepers relocation. No officials from government side spoke to us regarding relocation.”  Raju, along with Prakash Mendoth, president of the larger Jayanagar Traders Association,  were present at the function.

Addressings shop owners’ worries, S S Kandre, public relation officer, BBMP, said, “The reconstruction will have two phases. In the first phase, we will construct the demolished Puttanna Kanagal theatre to transfer all the shop owners.”

A BDA official reiterated BBMP’s words and assured relocation of the 150 shopkeepers. “The first floor of the rehabilitation block in Puttanna Kanagal theatre is for vegetable vendors and the second for fruit sellers. After the reconstruction of the complex we will shift all the shopkeepers to the new complex, except vegetable sellers,” says Ravi Narayana Reddy, BDA engineer. Vegetable sellers will stay back in the rehabilitation block, he added.

Mendoth is optimistic because he expects no disturbance in normal business. “This time, they have approached us with a plan. There are phases to the project. MLA Vijaykumar has assured everyone will be looked after”, he told Citizen Matters.

The project costs around Rs 250 crores and is supposed to finish within 24 months. Nagarjuna Constructions Company will be doing the project on BOOT basis (Build, Own, Operate and Transfer). The total cost of the project will be carried out by BDA and transfer it to BBMP after 30 years. “60 percent of the total cost will be paid to Nagarjuna during the construction period and the remaining 40 percent will be paid only after the construction,” says Nagaraj.

Two theaters and an auditorium of capacity 1500 people will be part of the new complex. It will also have parking facilities for 750 four wheelers and 2000 two wheelers.


  1. Fourth Block Shopper says:

    Please exercise caution while shopping inside Jayanagar 4th Block Shopping Complex (especially during non peak hours). There is a cartel of goondas who own gift shops and trap unsuspecting shoppers and threaten them and rob of their monies. Please see visit this link for details (Posting this purely in public interest).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Similar Story

Lok Sabha 2024: Know your MP — Parvesh Sahib Singh Verma, West Delhi

Parvesh Verma, who is the son of former Delhi chief minister Sahib Singh Verma, has made rapid progress in the BJP in past decade.

Parvesh Sahib Singh Verma is the incumbent MP for West Delhi Lok Sabha Constituency. He is a member of the ruling Bharatiya Janata Party and has won from West Delhi twice, in 2014 and 2019. Parvesh Verma is one of the many rising young stars in the BJP, who got elected in 2014 at the age of 36. He is the son of the former chief minister of Delhi, Sahib Singh Verma. He also served as an MLA, getting elected from Mehrauli in 2013. With the rise of Narendra Modi and the advent of AAP in Delhi, Verma got elected…

Similar Story

Lok Sabha 2024: Know your MP – Manoj Kumar Tiwari, North East Delhi

Former Bhojpuri actor Manoj Kumar Tiwari has represented the North East Delhi constituency for two consecutive terms. A look at his last tenure

Manoj Kumar Tiwari is a two-time Lok Sabha member representing the North East Delhi constituency. He was an actor-singer in the Bhojpuri film industry. He began his political career with the Samajwadi Party; he contested and lost the 2009 Lok Sabha election from Gorakhpur constituency in Uttar Pradesh. He then joined the BJP in 2013, contesting the 2014 and 2019 Lok Sabha elections from North East Delhi Constituency, and emerging victorious in both.   Read more: Lok Sabha 2024: A people’s manifesto for urban areas In 2019, Tiwari got 53.9% of the 16,35,204 votes cast in the constituency, which was 25%…