No response to BTM’s plea to restore park

Months of following up has not restored their park. They continue to be troubled by increased traffic, thanks to the new link road.

Residents of KEB Layout in BTM 1st stage have been petitioning BBMP about a public park that was demolished to benefit a private party. Citizen Matters had reported the issue in October 22 issue.

BBMP demolished the play area in KEB layout park to build a road through it, in 2009. Pic: Navya P K

BBMP had built the road through the only park here to facilitate traffic to a Sai Baba temple nearby, violating laws that mandate park protection. This also led to severe congestion by vehicles parking in inner roads of the layout.

But BBMP is not swayed, even after receiving residents’ petitions and letters from Dr Shalini Rajneesh, state Secretary for Rural Development and Panchayat Raj.

In December, Shalini had written to BBMP Commissioner, pointing out that the road had destroyed the park and caused public nuisance. Besides, the temple, which benefits from the road, stood on BDA-allotted land while violating the terms of land lease says Shalini in her letter.

Residents filed separate petition with BBMP, with a copy of Shalini’s letter. "After a few days and many repeated calls, BBMP told us that they had not received our petition. We chased across many offices and found the concerned Assistant Engineer (Jayangar East), R Benakesha," says Umesh P N, Secretary of KEB Layout RWA.

Benakesha says that he had submitted the report to Jayanagar AEE Annegowda, who forwarded it to higher officials including A B Hemachandra, Joint Commissioner (South), who is in charge of entire South zone. The report reiterates that the road was built to ease traffic to Sai Baba temple on the directions of Jayangar MLA B N Vijayakumar, and seeks directions from higher officials for further action. Citizen Matters has a copy of the report. In mid-February, Dr Shalini again intervened on residents’ request, after which BBMP Commissioner’s office asked Hemachandra to take action.

But on Citizen Matters’ enquiry, both Hemachandra and Chief Engineer M C Prakash seemed unaware of the issue itself. Prakash later said that the issue had been referred to a junior officer. Dr Shalini says that she has not got any response from BBMP either and that she will take it up with BBMP again.

MLA Vijayakumar says that he will not interfere in the issue again. "The fight is between BBMP and residents now. Hundreds of vehicles going to the temple use that road; how can it be removed now? Also, only 10-15 houses are affected."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Similar Story

Bidadi GBIT project: Land acquisition process and compensation raises critical questions

As the goverment focuses on land acquisition for the 7,481-acre project, are farmers' rights and crucial social impact checks being compromised?

The Greater Bengaluru Integrated Township (GBIT) in Bidadi, first notified in March 2025, received its final notification in June 2026 under the Karnataka Urban Development Authorities Act (KUDA Act), 1987. The project is branded as India's first and largest AI City, featuring an AI-integrated township. The project will be implemented by the Greater Bengaluru Development Authority (GBDA) under the same act. Three villages, Kempainapalya, Vaderahalli, and Mandalahalli are notified in the Gazette under Section 19(1) of the KUDA Act for the implementation of a development scheme, deemed as public purpose. The development scheme is spread over a total of 7,481…

Similar Story

Karnataka SIR: How to check your ASDDO list status and next steps

The draft electoral rolls will be published on August 24. Karnataka voters, here's what you can do to complete verification by August 17.

In Karnataka's Special Summary Revision (SIR), all enumeration forms have now been digitised. Out of the state's 5.54 crore electors, Booth Level Officers (BLOs) have signed and collected forms for over 4.45 crore voters. However, 1,09,13,776 voters, representing 19.69% of the electorate, have been categorised under the Absent, Shifted, Dead, Duplicate, and Others (ASDDO) list. Following the publication of the ASDDO list on August 4, election officials verified and removed three lakh voters from the list within the first six days. To check your registration details, search the electoral roll, or access voter verification services, visit the Chief Electoral Officer,…