Take action against hospital accused of selling babies

In the recent case of sale of babies by Get Well hospital, apparently, the doctor was found indulging in the act in 2010. So why was this not stopped then?

Media reports have highlighted the shocking acts of sale of babies by Get Well Hospital, Neelasandra on Friday December 28th, 2012. Reference:  (Times of India, Deccan Herald and The Hindu)

This is not the first instance where there has been evidence that this hospital has been involved in child trafficking.

There was another sting operation conducted at this hospital by the Ashok Nagar Police Station and APSA in mid 2010, which was also videotaped and shown in the media at that time. YET this hospital and its owners have been functioning with impunity since then with no follow up after the sting operation.

Dr. Parveen Prakash, who runs this hospital along with her husband retired Lt. Col. Prakash, was caught red handed by the authorities for selling a child. She has been arrested along with her son Harsha on Thursday, December 27th, 2012. Dr. Parveen and Harsha have been remanded to custody for 4 days but the hospital continues to function. According to newsreports, a criminal case has been registered, and investigation is currently underway.

The sale of children amounts to nothing less than their illegal trafficking and is an extremely heinous offence. It is even worse when medical professionals indulge in such actions. However, it appears that no action has been taken in regard the functioning of the hospital, and this is shocking, as the hospital itself was involved in a serious and grave crime. Permitting it to continue, even risks the possibility of such crimes continuing.

Given the extremely serious nature of the crime that the hospital has been involved in, it is absolutely essential that immediate steps are taken to cancel and revoke the license of the hospital, and further that steps be taken to revoke the license of the doctors to practice. To indulge in such criminal acts that violate the fundamental rights of babies, the most vulnerable of us all, goes against the fundamental principle and responsibility of medical professionals. Further, it is necessary that the license of the medical practitioners who were involved in this crime be immediately revoked as they are guilty of gross misconduct and conduct which is in absolute contravention of medical ethics.

1) We demand that the hospital be shut down with immediate effect, their license be revoked permanently and the notice of revocation be displayed at the hospital entrance, which should be sealed so they do not continue to function surreptitiously.

2) We demand that her medical license be revoked or, at the very least, suspended with immediate effect and a notice of this revocation be displayed at the hospital.

3) We demand that the police conduct independent and speedy investigation into the crimes committed by them and book them under the appropriate laws relating to trafficking and ensure that they are dealt with to the fullest extent of the law and be held without bail.

Copies of this letter are being sent to

  • Department of Health & Family Welfare, Government of Karnataka. # 105, Ist Floor, Vikas Soudha, Bangalore 560001
  • Karnataka Medical Council, #70, 2nd Floor, "Vaidyakeeya Bhavana", K.R. Road,H.B. Samaja Road Corner, Basavanagudi, Bangalore- 560004. 
  • Jyothi Prakash Mirji, Commissioner, Bangalore City Police, 1 Infantry Road, Bangalore

Please attend the gathering at Commissioner of Police’s office on Infantry Road on December 31st at noon to peacefully hand over the petition to him and ask for immediate and strict action.

Comments:

  1. Fairoz says:

    Hello Priya, How would we contact you on this issue?

  2. Admin says:

    You can write to the author using the “Write to author” link above.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Similar Story

The good news: Bengaluru’s unified transport vision. The bad: BMLTA rules auto-approve Tunnel Road

The proposed rules for the Bengaluru Metropolitan Land Transport Authority let major projects like the Tunnel Road through without a formal review.

The Karnataka government has notified the draft Bengaluru Metropolitan Land Transport Authority (BMLTA) rules — over three years after the BMLTA Act came into being — and has invited suggestions/objections by February 2nd, 2026.   The BMLTA was meant to be a unified transport body to regulate, monitor, develop and plan urban mobility in Bengaluru. The government had failed to constitute the Authority within the statutory timeline of six months. Now, the much-delayed draft rules propose to strip away all forms of transparency and accountability! One controversial clause (Rule 24) proposes to grant deemed approval to projects initiated between 2022…

Similar Story

Exclusions and evictions: Mumbai Pardhi community’s struggle for shelter and dignity

In Borivali’s Chikuwadi, BMC demolitions left Pardhi families homeless and harassed. They demand housing and basic facilities.

Over a fire of burning newspaper and cardboard, Madhuban Pawar, in her mid-60s, sits on the cold stone floor brewing tea. It is 11 pm, and her husband waits beside her for their only meal of the day: a single glucose biscuit and a glass of tea. In the wake of the December 2, 2025, demolition drive in Mumbai's Borivali, a lone cooking utensil is all the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) left her with. Madhuban, like many from Borivali's Chikuwadi, has inhabited the slums for over 20 years. "I work as a sanitation worker. During monsoons, our job is to…