Citizen Matters is a digital news platform with insightful reporting on critical urban issues, ideas and solutions for cities across India. Our local chapters focus on civic journalism and citizen engagement. Our journalism is supported by Oorvani Foundation, a non-profit organisation dedicated to empowering citizens through open knowledge platforms for civic engagement and community revitalisation.
This is an open invite to enthusiastic, committed individuals with rapid learning curve and interest in urban and community topics – we have a warm and open work environment!
Social Media & Engagement Lead
- Location: any city
- Plan, strategise and manage our social media presence. Grow audience on social platforms to meet planned targets, track audience metrics, report on audience development every quarter. Create rich content on a daily basis.
- Curate, write and edit newsletters.
- Track what’s happening in the city, engage with citizen groups online and offline and build networks; Mentor and facilitate citizen journalists
- Experience: 0-3 years or more
- Excellent communication, and a sense of balance and proportion
- Interest in urban and civic space
- Skills/experience in research or journalism a plus
Please mail us your resume at email@example.com, introducing yourself, describing your goals and interests along with your resume..
- Location: Bengaluru
- Profile: Track developments in the city – both emergent news and systemic issues. Write news reports, analysis, interviews, long form features etc, working in parallel with the rest of the team across India. Develop multimedia content like audio, video as required
Support the team with social media outreach / engagement as planned. Including activities like social media chats, live interviews, panel discussions etc.
- The ideal candidate has the stomach for hard reporting on tough issues, while being able to mix up his or her workload with feature writing from time to time
- Mail us links to your work, and a note why you are interested and what makes you a good fit.
- Experience: 2-4 years. This is also a great full time option for exceptional fresh journalists looking to build a resume!
- Our expectations
- Excellent command over English. Local language knowledge is important.
- Keen interest in urban and local topics like economy, sustainability, transport, water, waste, local governance and children.
- Curiosity and articulation, and a love for the written word!
- Self-learner; Highly productive, efficient, capable of multi-tasking
- Excellent communication and social media skills
- Data journalism and hard reporting experience.
Please mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org – introducing yourself, describing your goals and interests, and attach your resume and samples.
We are open to writers especially experts in specific urban topics. If you can write one-two solid 1000-1200 word stories a month – hard news report / analytical / insightful stories about your city, mail us with samples and story pitches.
If you want to intern to gain experience in media, community engagement, marketing or fundraising, reach out to us. These are 6 month or 1 year opportunities.
College students who need an internship for their course work can contact our Co Media Lab team.
We are looking for people passionate about bettering their cities. If you are a writer or editor, or knowledgeable civic activist, and want to contribute updates and highlight stories for an independent news platform committed to empowering citizens, we’d like to hear from you.
You’d need to commit 8-10 hours a month, and be based in any major city of India. Do send us a note about yourself, and why you’d like to help, along with some links to your earlier work.
As a public-funded non profit, we work with a large pool citizen contributors. Citizens share stories of change from their own neighbourhoods or spheres of work. We expect balance, fairness and an open attitude. See the principles of citizen journalism here*.
Be a part of the conversation on issues that affect us all in the city! Citizen Matters has been recognised for its innovative model combining professional journalism and community stories with high standards of editorial stewardship!
Perhaps you’d want to share an update on some happening or have in-depth knowledge of a field that you could share with others. We believe citizens know what is going on in their own neighbourhoods in more detail, context and sensitiveness. Also citizens have a point of view “what is in it for me and my community”. Citizens can also connect the dots between policy and how it impacts them. They have cognitive surplus!
We welcome contributions from articulate citizens who are excited about writing on city topics. You can write, contribute photo essays or make short films! It could be a report, opinion, analysis, interpretation, just commenting on a development and asking questions.
Note: citizen contributions are voluntary.
If you have a story to share, click here.
Researchers and Copy Editors
We also welcome volunteers who can support us with research and data analysis.
If you’d like to help with copy editing and proofreading, that would be a super help. To apply, please take this article, and send us a sample of your edited version with track changes.
We are an equal opportunity organisation with a non-discriminatory environment. In your resume, it is not necessary to include your marital status, caste or ethnicity. In addition, we will not ask about other factors – handicaps, sexual orientation, or religion – at any time.